Wednesday, March 13, 2019

What Nobody Knew by Amelia Hendrey

What Nobody Knew

by Amelia Hendrey




Rating (1-5) 📘📘📘📘📘
Genre - Biography
Format - Paperback
Pages - 257

*Amazon Blurb*
My story begins aged 3, when my mother abandoned me and left me with my brutal father to raise me. Nobody knew the secrets that went on inside that house, or the journey that I travelled on after leaving it, until now. This is the story of my survival. What do you do when no one wants you? How many people need to destroy a child until that child wants to destroy herself? What if social services always got told a different story? What would you do if you were in my position? Survival is key.

*My Review* 


This book....WOW!!! I wanted to start writing the review when I was only a couple chapters in. I've read sad books before, but this was the first book that actually hurt my heart. Not only was I sad, but filled with an anger that I wasn't able to do anything with. The ability for anyone to share any type of abuse is a big deal. For someone to be able to write a book about it to share with the world is powerful. It was impossible to put this book down.

This story takes you along the journey of a young child that goes through an abusive life filled with nothing but pain. No hugs, kissed or love of any kind. Even worse, is that no one stepped in to help. The book is different as it shows actual documentation (with names blocked out for privacy issues) from various departments including social services, school etc. It seemed they all wanted to ignore what was going on, but I'm not sure why or HOW they could do that. All the excuses that were given "medical issues" yet there was never any proof of it from a doctor. How could no one look into it? How could they sleep at night not knowing for sure what was going on? I am curious what happened to her dear friends Emma and Angel.

I can't applaud Amelia enough for writing this book. Hopefully it opens people's eyes as to how child is made to feel nothing and how they can live without telling. I was able to identify a little bit with parts of this story. I know that no matter how old you get, whether the person who hurt you is alive or not, the memories will find and haunt you out of the blue. Sometimes it's easy to push them away. Other times it's nearly impossible.


4 comments:

  1. OMGosh, it sounds heartbreaking and riveting. Thanks for reviewing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a person who has "favorite" books, but this would be one I'd recommend. It was truly an eye opener on what children are subject to.

      Delete
  2. Reading this now...it's heartbreaking and makes me angry. No child should have to go through that. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This broke my heart more than any book I've ever read. The only plus side to this is that the author seems to be a wonderful woman who was able to overcome (to some extend) the horrible childhood she had.

      Delete