Monday, April 26, 2021

Why Libraries?

 Why Libraries?

Frank J Basloe Library
Frank J Basloe Library

Back in the day....what a way to start any story, right? But in this case it's true. If you are as old as I am, or older, then you remember how important libraries were when we needed to look up information especially for school projects. We didn't have computers or cell phones to be able to look up something at any moment.
Libraries are also great for the communities because they offer many programs....did you know that? So many people aren't aware of what libraries offer these days. Some things they offer are free resources, they help connect communities and offer a quite place to do work or just to disconnect from the craziness of the world. My library even has a book club (that I am happy to be in charge of) that bring people together in reading books that you may not normally have read. 


Frank J Basloe Library
Frank J Basloe Library

For readers it is a major money saver. I would love to be able to support authors by buying their books, but I simply can't afford to spend and average of $20 a book. So far this year I have read 15 (not including kids books that I read with my daughter). That would've cost me $300 so far!!!! I don't know about you, but I can't afford that. Now don't get me wrong and think that I never buy books either. I do have some favorite authors that I like to have in my personal library and if I read a book that is awesome, I may purchase it so that I can reread it at a later date. Also, physical copies are great to have if you like to attend book signings or to give as gifts.

The pictures you see here are of my library. We are in the process of a huge renovation. So far we have completed complete Phase 1 (there are pictures of the renovation process on their site). 

 

The library also has the Friends of the Library Book Sale. It is a way to help raise money to support the library. We had a beautiful sign donated by A & P Master Images and were finally put up last week. 


 

If you are local to the area, we are always looking for "friends" to help out. Click here for more information.

2 comments:

  1. I love libraries! There's nothing like the SMELL when you walk in, the ambience, perusing the shelves and finding new books to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus you have your own personal library worker lol. I will admit I don't notice a library smell, but I'm also not a book sniffer like someone I know.

      Delete