Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Being your own boss

Growing up I always wanted to own my own store. My grandmother was a small business owner and I learned a lot about resale from her when I was quite young. Almost all of my jobs I've ever held involved some type of sale/retail position.
I was beyond excited when I decided last Nov. 2015 to take a leap and open my own store Affordable Babies Clothing & Supplies currently located at 105 E Albany St in Herkimer, NY. Feel free to check out our Facebook page.
I didn't expect to become rich overnight and that was certainly a good thing. It's been almost 8 months and although business has been steady for the most part, it needs to be more.
I find myself wondering some days if it's really worth being open. Getting your name out is hard. Trying to get people to understand that shopping at a small, locally owned business instead of Walmart is even harder.
I've done word of mouth, ads in the newspaper, ads and promotions. Nothing seems to make a difference. I keep my fingers crossed that I'll have a really good month and be able to have the extra money to advertise on the radio or even TV. I never believe the saying "It takes money to make money" more than I do now.
I will try to keep my head up and a smile on my face since many people never even get the chance to live out their dream. It may not last forever, but at least I can say I tried.

Moral of my story.....it's not how long a dream lasts, but how it makes you feel while you are living it.

1 comment:

  1. Some things that I have done, I never thought I would or COULD but it's awesome when you make your dreams come true, even if they don't last. I admire you for going into it and giving your dream a GO!

    ReplyDelete