Saturday, August 10, 2019

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale

by Margaret Atwood

https://amzn.to/31tKalc


Rating (1-5) 📘📘📘
Genre - Dystopian Fiction, Censorship & Politics
Format - Paperback
Pages - 311

*Amazon Blurb*

In Margaret Atwood’s dystopian future, environmental disasters and declining birthrates have led to a Second American Civil War. The result is the rise of the Republic of Gilead, a totalitarian regime that enforces rigid social roles and enslaves the few remaining fertile women. Offred is one of these, a Handmaid bound to produce children for one of Gilead’s commanders. Deprived of her husband, her child, her freedom, and even her own name, Offred clings to her memories and her will to survive. At once a scathing satire, an ominous warning, and a tour de force of narrative suspense, The Handmaid’s Tale is a modern classic.

*My Review* 

This book....ugh. There was so much hype about the book and the shows. I was so excited when I got this book that I didn't even set it IN my TBR pile, but rather on top to be the next book I read. I think that the shows might be better than the book (don't shoot). I can't believe I actually just typed that. It all just seemed like everything was in slow motion. They walked here, they walked there and always moving at the same pace and not looking around. Each class of women wore the same outfits and spoke the same lines......zzzzzz.

Can someone who has read this tell me I am just in a reading funk and it was a really good book??

Not sure if I'll check out the next in the series, The Testaments, but I guess if I want to find out what happens with Offred I will have to.....or I can google spoilers (but what fun would that be?).

2 comments:

  1. Definitely sounds like something I'd faze off into la-la land reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, you probably would. Maybe the Netflix series is better?

      Delete