Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive by Peter Conti

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive

by Peter Conti



Rating (1-5) 📘📘📘
Genre - Memoirs
Format - E-book

*Amazon Blurb*

Dan "Tito" Davis comes from a town in South Dakota that's so small everyone knows their neighbor's cat's name. But once he got out, he made some noise. While at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, he started manufacturing White Crosses, aka speed, and soon had the Banditos Motorcycle Club distributing ten million pills a week. After serving a nickel, he got into the weed game, but just when he got going, he was set up by a childhood friend. Facing thirty years, Davis slipped into Mexico, not knowing a word of Spanish, which began a thirteen-year odyssey that led him to an underground hideout for a Medellín cartel, through the jungles of the Darien Gap, the middle of Mumbai's madness, and much more.

*My Review* 

Where would you go if you needed to hide? Would you be able to leave your former life in the past and create a new one? Imagine never speaking to your family again. I thought the book started out a bit slow, but it picks up quickly and takes you on a ride all over South America. Tito is forced to not only leave his life in the past, but to create a new one that is believable enough to not make anyone suspicious of him. I had to keep reminding myself this story was based on real life events. I kept thinking that I would've probably given up many times, yet Tito pushes on. Not only does he stay out of trouble, but manages to be a law abiding citizen, a successful one at that. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I read the book on my Kindle or if the same would hold true in a printed format, but I did get a bit annoyed at all the footnotes. I don't see why most of them couldn't have just been in English instead of me having to constantly click on the footnote to understand what was being said.

No comments:

Post a Comment