Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Reading a Book Vs. Writing a Review

 


Reading -

I love to read, when I get the chance. With Covid many of us have had to make changes in our normal daily lives. I was turned into a home-schooling teacher and let me tell you something, having one child at home with no other kids to play with is not all it's cracked up to be. Guess who gets to do morning routine, school, after school and all the other in-between stuff? Yup, I do. I love my child, don't get me wrong, but I really miss that little bit of time that I got while waiting for her after I got out of work to pick her up from school. Now the only me time I get is the few hours I work at the library. Yes, I consider my working hours my me time. It's the only chance I get to have conversations with adults and read while it's slow. I can't even read much after my daughter goes to bed since that is the only time I get to spend with my husband. So I try to squeeze in reading any chance I get. Between school, child care, household chores and my online businesses it doesn't leave much.

I really would like to get stranded on a deserted island for about 1 week with nothing but a stack of book and yummy treats.



Reviews -

I finished a book, yay!! Now what? Well normally I'd like to jump right in to writing a review while everything is fresh in my mind. Unfortunately, I am usually finishing while at work, in bed before or sometimes while I am simply not home. Basically it's not convenient for me to start my review at that time. However, I usually have another book within reach and just start that one. Then I kind of forget that I have a review to write. I tell myself that I will take a little bit of my reading time to get it done, but then I don't have much reading time to take away from. 

Also, writing a review is much harder than just telling someone about the book in person. Going back to my post about blogs, I don't visit book review blogs very often because I don't have time to read long reviews. I keep my reviews short....sometimes a lot shorter than I probably should, but I don't want to give too much away. Did I like the book or didn't I. Why or why not. I feel like if I start explaining everything that the book looses it's mystery. I don't want to say anything that might give away the "who done it" so I don't say much at all. Since I don't have much time to read to begin with, I also don't want to spend what little time I do have reading a review about a book that I might or might not read. If I am going to read it, then I don't need to have read a review about it telling me everything that is going to happen.

Summary -

What are your thoughts on book reviews? Do you read them? Do you prefer them short and to the point or a bit more in depth? I'd love to know.

4 comments:

  1. I really don’t know how you do it. Honestly, the hardest part of writing for me is blurbs and reviews because of how impossible it is to say everything I want to say without spoiling everything. As for reviews, I don’t think I prefer them to be a certain length. But I prefer them to be honest and/or unique than generic. Like if I’m deciding whether to read a book based on a review, I almost want to relate to the reviewer, so it’s like a friend recommending it. The more I can relate to the things they take from it, the more I feel like our interests will be common enough that the book will likely be a common interest too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine having to write a blurb. Honestly, I don't even read them the majority of the time. I'll admit that I do judge most books by their cover.
      If I am having a hard time writing a review I try to imagine that I am talking to a friend, but it is still hard not to give away too much sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I hate writing reviews!! But I love reading yours. Can't tell you how many books I've read or put on my TBR list because of your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it, thank you. It definitely gives me a reason to continue writing them.

      Delete