Thursday, March 1, 2018

The Forever Girl by Alexander McCall Smith

The Forever Girl 

by Alexander McCall Smith


Rating (1-5) - 📘📘
Genre - Contemporary Romance
Format -Hardcover
Pages - 316
This book was chosen by my 3 year old as my second "Blind date with a book" from my local library. I was a little unsure of this book as the rating on GoodReads is not even 3 stars (now I know why). I decided to go along and read it anyways because not everyone has the same opinion.

The Forever Girl was my forever read. Once I start a book I feel obligated to finish it, regardless of whether I', enjoying it or not. I wish I didn't feel that way and that I could put a book aside with no intention of finishing, as I would've done so with this one. I thought about giving it 1 book rating, but didn't because I feel a 1 book rating should only be used in a situation where a book wasn't simply disliked, but poorly written as well.

The Forever Girl was so boring that it felt like it was never going to end. Every book has a plot, or at least you would think that it would have. Even after finishing this book, I still don't know what the point was. I thought the beginning was nice, setting up the scene with the kids growing up and loving parents. Then the little romance started and I thought, oh this is what it will be about....nope. It seems the majority of the book focuses on Clover and her boring life with nothing going on. She goes off to college, she comes home to visit on vacation, she goes back to school, she finishes school and on. Her life is filled with studies and the constantly thinking of a boy friend from her childhood who she feels that shes been in love with since then.

This is not a book that I would recommend to people. I honestly am not sure how anyone would find it enjoyable, which is sad as I know the time it takes to write and publish a book. I haven't read any other books by this author. I always hesitate reading a another book by the same author if I didn't like the first one. Has anyone else read a book by Alexander McCall Smith that they recommend?



No comments:

Post a Comment